Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Something More Sustainable

I left NC to experience social diversity. Found it in NYC. While there I learned alot about the energetic flow of the economic and social marketplace. Had my first real taste of being self-reliant and self-motivated - supporting myself without the structures and prescribed goals of the university or organizational hierarchy. Worked in the "ghettos" of the Bronx and in the fashionable photography studios of Tribeca. Put personal energy into personal projects - like artistically renovating my own apt and helping a friend build a music studio. I made work and play one. I Left NYC to see what people in New Orleans were experiencing after facing the worst natural/human disaster ever experienced in the USA. I lived in my van, hung with the locals, and experienced multiple perspectives on many different issues. I learned the necessity of social capital - both in my personal situation and in the community rebuilding. I was evermore disillusioned with government, corporate, and nonprofit sectors in our society. I was convicted about the importance of organic/living foods, conservation of resources through permaculture and stability through cultural diversity. Now I am seeking experience related to these convictions. This momentum has manifested itself in the form of road trip toward organic farms in California. Stay tuned at Onward Eden.

No comments: